Outdoor Activities

I had the day off for MLK day, so I got together with one of my best geo-buddies to go find some geocaches. On the way to meet up with her, the morning was very misty-foggy. As I was driving down FM 50 near Brenham, I saw a Bald Eagle flying low over a pond just to my left. I always get so excited about seeing these majestic birds so close to home and over the last couple of months, I have seen 3 of them. I was driving so I didn't have a chance to try to snap a picture.
Photo by Suzzanne Britton
ironphoenix.org/gallery/

We headed northeast to an area where there were caches that neither of us have already found. The fog was beginning to lift and it turned into a gorgeous day. Our first stop, a cemetery. The wind was whispering in the pines and birds were everywhere. I could have just sat there for a long time soaking it all in.  A "V" of Snow Geese flew overhead heading south. Wrens where about as were some Robins. I saw a tiny bird with a bright red stripe on its head and it was flitting around in the cedars right in front of me, but not holding still long enough for its camera debut. I looked it up later and found out it is a Ruby Crowned Kinglet. A new one to add to my life list! Such a cute little fellow!

We started on a series of caches and then took a break for lunch on the Lake in Conroe. It was a little breezy, but nice, so we sat out on the patio.  I created a Sight on Sighter Game and we put out a few Munzees along the way heading home.  We stopped by the military tank that has twice eluded me and I FINALLY got to log that one and even completed a locationless cache on terracaching.com. 20 caches found along with a couple of Munzees for the day. We didn't do much pre-planning, so no letterboxes today.

I got home and started a couple loads of laundry. I know, ugh! While they were washing and drying, I went outside with my tablet to edit and publish my field notes as logs.  I just couldn't stand going inside any more than I had to. The Barred Owls across the road were carrying on a little early and I love to listen to them. Henbit and Spring Beauties are already blooming in the yard. Hopefully, Spring is on its way.

Comments