Skip to main content

Hiding and Seeking

Over the past week, I have been in a hiding and seeking mood and not just for a little bison tube with a tiny scroll of names and dates.  I carved two new stamps and got my boxes ready. I got one letterbox hidden in Bryan on Wednesday while I was at the Food For Families Food Drive all day. I listed it on AtlasQuest.com and I also posted it on Opencaching.US so both groups of seekers can log the box.  The instructions lead you on a small adventure to find Norman, the little mouse that lives in the woods. The first finder was topcrop and she suggested that this would be a good place for a series, so I went back out on Friday and hid the other box in the same general area. These are listed as This Bud's For You and Hummer Bird. I carved a small stamp called a Flea. This little stamp and its accompanying log can be passed from person to person or it can be placed in another box.  These "fleas" act like Travel Bugs on geocaching.com. I am starting it off in the Hummer Bird box.

That took care of the hiding part, now for the seeking!  I noticed there was a relatively new letterbox out at Birch Creek State Park (part of the Lake Somerville State Park system), so I went out there Saturday afternoon.  I also had the clue to another box in the same general area and both were on a mile and half loop trail.  I followed the clues to the first one and I looked and looked. None of the noted trees seemed right.  I back tracked to the split in the trail and re-counted my steps. Still nothing.  I looked on the opposite side of the trail and around lots of trees.  I finally gave up on that one and headed to pick up the other box. I found it with no problem.  I went back the way I came and looked around a little more for the first one.  It was getting dark, so I headed back on the trail and back to my car. I REALLY wanted to be the first to find that one box, so I was frustrated.  I stopped by my brother's house and told him and his roommate about my trials.  Then I told them the directions and showed them the clue.  Only THEN did I see the line before the split in the trail which said to go to the left, then go to the split (which would be the 2nd split).  I read that clue so many times, but somehow I kept jumping over that line in the directions.  <insert forehead slap here>  AAARRRRGGGGHHH!

Well, after church on Sunday, I decided to drive the 25 miles again to see if I could find it.  I walked right up to it this time.  I found the container, opened it up and....someone had already stamped it on the day it was published.   There was a little disappointment, but at least I found it.  There was a HUGE leaf-cutter ant colony just back up the trail.  When I saw it on Saturday, I had visions of an Indiana Jones movie. It was a little creepy.  Anyone coming down this trail needs to watch small children and pets. I got home and logged the find.  Later I received a message from the owner who told me the person that stamped the log with with them when the box was placed so that's why she didn't log it.  I was the first to find it then.  Yeah!  

It was really nice to hear the waves lapping at the shore while I stamped the boxes over this weekend.  Just a couple of months ago, this entire area was completely void of water. We are still in a drought condition, but it's better than it was. I got my exercise this weekend and got to hear lots of birds.  I didn't see the bald eagles, but I know they have been spotted around the Park in the past week or so.  If it wasn't for so many other activities on the calendar, this would have been a great weekend for camping.

Popular posts from this blog

Getting My House In Order

I'll be the first one to confess that I am NOT the world's best housekeeper. I have been a single mom of my 18-year old "baby" since he was just a couple of months old and it hasn't always been easy. As a matter of fact, I think the toddler was more tidy than the teenager. He has a habit of opening cabinets and not closing them, dropping things on the floor wherever he happens to be, leaving items on the counter and so on. After lots of arguments and not making much headway, I decided to pick my battles and let him do his thing in his own room. Then a few things made their way to the living room and little by little, you get used to things being out. And yes, I got lazy and didn't feel like messing with it.  Then one day I looked around and thought that if someone happened to pop in unannounced, I would be totally embarrassed. So, something had to give.

There are as many methods of cleaning and decluttering as there are ways to make a mess.  I have looked thro…

Rideshare in B/CS

It's official!  I'm now also a driver for Uber. Here's hoping the two programs overlap nicely.

My Referral Code is denisev472ue and you can get a 1st rider discount or a bonus for signing up as a driver using my code.

I am driving in the Brazos Valley - Brazos and Burleson Counties.

Need a Lyft?

#lyft is now in the Bryan/College Station (Aggieland) area and I'm a driver. Use my promocode NATIVTXN Need a Lyft?Get $5 off your first ride Want to give a Lyft?Get up to a $100 driver bonus