Geocaching Anniversary #1

As of today, I have been geocaching for one year!  I started this hobby last year with my son, StAggie99, and we found Downtown Snook, a little film canister that had been right there in my little hometown for over 2 years.  I have since adopted it from the owners who have moved out of state.

This morning, I picked up my 44th FTF on a cache called Trash to Cache and received a nice FTF geocoin that I will put in my next hide.

Over this past year, I have logged the following:

NameCount
Total Caches Found*750
 Traditional Cache683
 Multi-cache7
 Virtual Cache21
 Letterbox Hybrid1
 All Event Cache Types20
 Event Cache18
 Cache In Trash Out Event2
 Unknown Cache15
 Earthcache3
 NGS Benchmarks9


Benchmarks don't count in the total. Dang it! :(  I love the virtuals and I'm so disappointed in Groundspeak on dragging their feet bringing them back.  On the bright side, I have found Opencaching.US and they allow virtuals, webcams, guest books and other items that Geocaching.com does not.  There are not as many OCUS caches since it's fairly new, but I hope it catches on as I enjoy doing both.  I have found a few actual Letteboxes outside of the Hybrid listed above and I really enjoy them. I wish there were more Letterbox Hybirds out there because I really enjoy finding the stamps and creating a journal of ones that I have found. I have hidden a few of these myself and I hope others will follow suit.

Over this past year, I have met several wonderful people that I consider to be good friends now that I would have probably never met otherwise. I really look forward to our Brazos Valley Geocacher get togethers and CITO events. It's always nice when my son joins me on the hunt and we get to take our dog with us. I enjoy the family time outdoors.  I have had fun doing the "Park N Grabs", but I really enjoy the ones that involve hiking or biking on trails out in nature. When I can combine geocaching and camping, I'm very happy. I had a blast at my first Texas Challenge just a couple of weeks ago in Huntsville, although I think I overdid it on one of the bike runs to pick up one of the evil hides afterwards.

I look forward to a new year and new adventures and new YAPIDKAs!

Comments